Saturday, 14 August 2010

Ice Cold (The New Rizzoli and Isles Thriller) by Tess Gerritson

First of all, I would like to say that I am very pleased that I have bought a signed copy of the above book!


First line in the book:  Plain of Angels, Idaho.  She was the chosen one.

Synopsis:  In Wyoming for a medical conference, Boston medical examiner Maura Isles joins a group of friends on a spur-of-the-moment ski trip.  But when their SUV stalls on a snow-choked mountain road, they're stranded with no help in sight.
As night falls, the group seeks refuge from the blizzard in the remote village of Kingdom Come, where twelve eerily identical houses stand dark and abandoned.  Something terrible has happend in Kingdom Come:  Meals sit untouched on tables, cars are still parked in garages.  The town's previous residents seem to have vanished into thin air, but footprints in the snow betray the presence of someone who still lurks in the cold darkness - someone who is watching Maura and her friends.
Days later, Boston homicide detective Jane Rizzoli receives the grim news that Maura's charred body has been found in a mountain ravine.  Shocked and grieving, Jane is determined to learn what happened to her friend.  The investigation plunges Jane into the twisted history of Kingdom Come, where a gruesome discovery lies buried beneath the snow.  As horrifying revelations come to light, Jane closes in on an enemy both powerful and merciless - and the chilling truth about Maura's fate.

Below is a promotional video on Ice Cold:





Above: a conversation with Tess Gerritson. I hope the television series comes to the UK eventually.  To find out more about this show, do click on http://www.tnt.tv/  The other alternative is to fan them on Facebook.

My take:  I am pleased to have finally gotten my hands on the latest book on the Rizzoli and Isles thriller and a signed copy at that.  From the very first page of Ice Cold, you can feel that Gerritson is writing out of her comfort zone and it is a welcome breath of fresh air.  I believe that any author, experienced or budding, must evolve and change once they have found their niche.
First of all, the plot is set in a new location and focuses on a religious cult group which has disappeared in mysterious circumstances.  Secondly, there are lots of unexpected twists and new characters involved who play major roles in the book.  Thirdly, the book reads like a totally different book from the first seven of the series and yet, the characters and their lives are familiar.
Throughout the book, the story screams of tension and heart-pumping adrenaline.  It is certainly a terrifying read.  I feel every emotion that the characters feel.  I feel the suspense of every scene.  I can even feel the icy cold seeping through my bones.  I feel for their pain and fear.  Their helpless situation seems so real and effectual.  You cannot help but feel you are a part of their hopeless situation.  It is indeed tiring to read this book because there is so much emotion involved.  Just when you think you have found the answer, there is another loophole for you to jump in.  It is relentless until you come to the conclusion.  I am not sure whether anyone can see that there may be scope to develop this book further next time.  Gerritsen's talent for conveying emotions like fear or the chilling weather are so tangible that this book will definitely captivate you and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Rating:  5/5 (A winner)

Fans of Rizzoli and Isles and of course Tess Gerritson will be pleased to know that the author is on her way to UK for her UK book tour.  She will be signing her books and meeting her fans at these venues:

Sunday, August 15: Edinburgh International Book Festival, RBS Main Theatre, Charlotte Square, Edinburgh. 8 PM.

Monday, August 16: Newcastle. Waterstone’s Newcastle, Emerson Chambers, 6:30 PM.

Tuesday, August 17: Manchester. Waterstone’s 91 Deansgate, Manchester. 7:00 PM.

Wednesday, August 18: Belfast. Sponsored by the No Alibis Bookstore, event at The Movie House Cinema, Dublin Road, Belfast. 7 PM.

Thursday, August 19: Rainham. Rainham Library, 7-11 The Broadway, Rainham, Essex. 7:30 PM.

Friday, August 20: Bishopswood. Sponsored by Rossiter Books. Bishopswood House, Bishopswood, Ross-on-Wye. 7:00 PM.

Sunday, August 22: Blooming Good Books Festival, Silverdell of Kirkham. Southport, Merseyside. 2 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment