Sunday, 23 January 2011

Small Crimes by Dave Zeltserman


The first chapter can be read here on Serpent's Tail, an independent book publisher in UK.

I am glad I picked up this book because it is one hell of a book.  I rarely come across authors who write real stuff based on the grimness of reality or the complexities of life without having to justify or explain away its validity in any terms.  Zeltserman reminds me of Stephen Jay Schwartz, both of whom write without any pretensions while laying it bare for all to see.  I like that and can identify with that.  At its core, this book is about an ordinary man who is considered by society as a down-and-out and who is seeking redemption for his past mistakes.  

Someone once said that every journey begins with a few small steps.  Well, ironically, one small crime or wrong move can beget larger crimes too huge to comprehend too.  And this is what happened to Joe Denton, a crooked cop.  Nobody wants him around, not his ex-wife and two daughters, his parents or his former colleagues.  Friends?  What friends?  With every obstacle in his way, can he turn his life around and seek goodness out of so much evil?  Equally as important, can the people once close to him forgive him?  What about the big and bad society?  Can society accept an ex-convict who has learned his lessons in their midst?  Do they want to?  Most times, it is easy to preach about forgiveness but in reality, it is a hard act to put into practice.  However, there is always that saving grace - hope.  

This book deserves to be out there and read, in other words, it comes with my highest recommendation.  Totally genius.

Small Crimes is the first in the "man just out of prison" trilogy.

About the author:  Dave Zeltserman left software development to write crime fiction and study Kung Fu.  He lives in the Boston area with his wife.  Small Crimes is his third novel.  You can find out more about the author by checking out his website or he can be found on Facebook.

Rating:  7/5

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Google alerts brought me to your blog. Looks like with a 7 out of 5 I got an A++! I'm glad you liked Small Crimes. I should warn you about my book Pariah--if you try my others (Killer, Outsourced, and especially The Caretaker of Lorne Field) you'll probably enjoy them at least the same, if not more, than Small Crimes, Pariah, maybe not. It's a better book than Small Crimes, but it's very fierce, very extreme, with the protagonist the polar opposite of Joe and without a single redeeming quality.

    thanks again for giving Small Crimes a read and a shout out.

    Best,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thank you very much for dropping by. You have made my day, month, year...and you have found yourself another fan, Mr Zeltserman. I can't wait to see what else you've got in store. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete