Saturday, 5 February 2011

A Bitter Feast (Bill Smith/Lydia Chin novels) by S J Rozan


The Chinese people do know how to work hard and play hard.  By playing hard, I mean that they celebrate the Spring Festival or Chinese New Year in big style up to fifteen days long, that is a whole two weeks with plenty of food, food, food.  Pretty impressive.

To continue the theme of this most important and longest festivity in the Chinese Calendar, I have decided to read books of a Chinese nature be it food, culture, language, people, crime fiction, whatever so long as the books contain Chinese elements, for as long as the festivity lasts.  And so, here is Bitter Feast by S J Rozan (1998), the fifth book in the Bill Smith/Lydia Chin series.

Try a taste of the first chapter here.

Because I am blissfully reading through the Bill Smith/Lydia Chin series, I will not be putting my thoughts down here.  Basically, they read the same in that it is a highly recommended series and that is probably an understatement when it comes to Rozan, a very talented writer.  But I will leave you with a review that takes the words right out of my mouth:

"Superlative...a story that manages to satisfy all the senses." - Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Rating:  5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment