Monday, 9 November 2015

Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham


Hardback:  My name is Sebastian Rudd, and though I am a well-known street lawyer, you will not see my name on billboards, on bus benches, or screaming at you from the yellow pages.  I don't pay to be seen on television, though I am often there.  

My name is not listed in any phone book.  I do not maintain a traditional office.  I carry a gun, legally, because my name and face tend to attract attention from the type of people who also carry guns and don't mind using them.  

I live alone, usually sleep alone, and do not possess the patience and understanding necessary to maintain friendships.  The law is my life, always consuming and occasionally fulfilling.  I wouldn't call it a "jealous mistress" as some forgotten person once so famously did.  It's more like an overbearing wife who controls the checkbook.  There's no way out.

In this end of the state, it is now well known in legal circles that if you can't find anybody else, call Sebastian Rudd.  He'll defend anybody!

Sebastian Rudd takes the cases no one else wants to take:  the drug-adled punk accused of murdering two little girls;  a homeowner who shot at a SWAT team;  a crime lord on death row.

Rudd believes that every person accused of a crime is entitled to a fair trial - even if he has to cheat to get one.  He antagonizes people from both sides of the law:  his last office was fire-bombed, either by drug dealers or cops.  He doesn't know or care which.

But things are about to get even more complicated for Sebastian.  Arch Swanger is the prime suspect in the abduction and presumed murder of 21-year-old Jiliana Kemp, the daughter of the assistant chief of police.  When Swanger asks Sebastian to represent him, he lets Sebastian in on a terrible secret...one that will threaten everything Sebastian holds dear.

Gritty, witty and impossible to put down, Rogue Lawyer (2015) is the master of the legal thriller at his very best.

About the author:  John Grisham is the author of twenty-eight novels, one work of non-fiction, a collection of stories and five novels for young readers.  His works are translated into forty-two languages.  He lives in Virginia.  Find out more at jgrisham.com and stay in touch via Facebook at John Grisham Books.

Rating:  6/5

No comments:

Post a Comment