I used to borrow a lot of books but we moved and the library here only has the latest books (in German) and is not able to order any from other libraries, so I've given up on them. Not that I need them, I have a huge TBR pile.
I've recently gone back to borrowing from the library because books are getting more expensive. I read them once and never again. A hardback costs at least £20 so I decided to use my local library and only buy non-fiction.
They do get ever so expensive. But I never buy hardbacks. And I often buy used books online, so that's alright. I would borrow books from our library if I could get them.
Definitely. Thanks. I totally get it. More and more small shops have to close due to people buying online. Actually, in our little town, the only really good shop that you can go to is a bookshop, who knows how long that will be around? Part of the reason that people don't buy fewer books can be that they are getting too expensive. It takes around three years until a new edition is published in paperback, a lot of people can't afford that.
I agree with your second paragraph. Sometimes, I get impatient especially when it's my favourite author or series and I have to read them once it's released. Thank goodness for libraries!
I hope that the bookshop in your town will be around for a long time. If possible and if there's enough resources, the bookshop can organise book events to keep it going. Bookshops can't be blamed if they've to increase prices just to survive. The state of the world is absolutely atrocious ever since 2020. To think that we could buy books for 1p back in 2010! Those days are long gone.
Cities have many advantages (never mind the disadvantages) but to live in a small town, despite being deprived of many services, is actually better all round. First off is there's not much pollution like in cities.
I totally agree. Unfortunately, this is seen in many countries.
ReplyDeleteIt's sad, isn't it. I have a library card and still borrow books. :)
DeleteI used to borrow a lot of books but we moved and the library here only has the latest books (in German) and is not able to order any from other libraries, so I've given up on them. Not that I need them, I have a huge TBR pile.
DeleteI've recently gone back to borrowing from the library because books are getting more expensive. I read them once and never again. A hardback costs at least £20 so I decided to use my local library and only buy non-fiction.
DeleteThey do get ever so expensive. But I never buy hardbacks. And I often buy used books online, so that's alright. I would borrow books from our library if I could get them.
Deletehttps://www.thebookseller.com/news/books-sales-rise-in-germany-but-trade-frets-over-declining-readers
DeleteHi Marianne, thought this would be of interest to you.
DeleteDefinitely. Thanks. I totally get it. More and more small shops have to close due to people buying online. Actually, in our little town, the only really good shop that you can go to is a bookshop, who knows how long that will be around?
DeletePart of the reason that people don't buy fewer books can be that they are getting too expensive. It takes around three years until a new edition is published in paperback, a lot of people can't afford that.
I agree with your second paragraph. Sometimes, I get impatient especially when it's my favourite author or series and I have to read them once it's released. Thank goodness for libraries!
DeleteI hope that the bookshop in your town will be around for a long time. If possible and if there's enough resources, the bookshop can organise book events to keep it going. Bookshops can't be blamed if they've to increase prices just to survive. The state of the world is absolutely atrocious ever since 2020. To think that we could buy books for 1p back in 2010! Those days are long gone.
Cities have many advantages (never mind the disadvantages) but to live in a small town, despite being deprived of many services, is actually better all round. First off is there's not much pollution like in cities.
Delete