Thursday, 23 April 2026

The Smallest Restaurant In Paris: A Memoir by Rachel Khoo



About the book: In this warm, illustrated memoir, Rachel Khoo traces the path that took her from a secure London office job to a tiny bedsit near the Bastille, and ultimately to finding her voice through food in Paris. Written with humour and heart, the book captures her early adult life as a young Brit abroad, navigating independence, ambition and creativity in a city far from home. 

Drawing on her British, Chinese-Malaysian and Austrian heritage, Rachel offers a layered portrait of Paris in the noughties, far removed from postcard clichés, from cultural missteps and friendships to fashions, food obsessions and the realities of making ends meet.

As she studies at culinary school and supports herself through a patchwork of jobs, including au pair, tour guide, bookseller and recipe tester, Rachel experiments with pop-ups, bento boxes and picnic projects, all while questioning her direction and preparing to return to London.

Everything changes when she begins hosting intimate dinner parties in her 21-square-metre flat. With one table, a couple of chairs and a lot of determination, these evenings spark an idea that leads to what would become known as the smallest restaurant in Paris, quietly laying the foundations for her future work.

Each chapter is accompanied by a hand-drawn illustration and concludes with a recipe inspired by her time in Paris. Part memoir, part food writing, The Smallest Restaurant in Paris is an intimate account of resilience, cultural curiosity and the small beginnings that can lead to unexpected change.

The Smallest Restaurant In Paris: A Memoir will be released on 12 May 2026 (UK & Europe) and August 2026 (Australia & New Zealand).

About the author: Rachel Khoo is a Sunday Times bestselling British cook, author/food writer, podcast broadcaster, esteemed TV producer, presenter and global culinary consultant whose Malaysian-Chinese and Austrian heritage informs her inventive, design-led approach to food and storytelling. Her creative work spans television, books, brand collaborations and digital media, including series for the BBC, Food Network and Netflix. Her television work also includes judging roles on programmes such as The Great Australian Bake Off and Great British Menu.

She is the author of six books, translated into fourteen languages, and first gained global recognition with The Little Paris Kitchen (TV series), inspired by the one-table restaurant she ran from her tiny 21m² space in her Paris flat. Born in South London, Rachel now divides her time between London and Sweden, where she lives with her children.

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I love Rachel Khoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really follow her but would love to read her memoir.

      Delete
    2. I don't follow her as such but she often appears in British cooking shows. They show excerpts from various cooks and bakers.

      Delete
    3. They don't send her show atm but I always love it when she appears, she is so nice.

      Delete
    4. I watched a little bit of her show a long time ago. :)

      Delete
    5. Ah, then you know that she is lovely.

      Delete
    6. I'm sure she is but didn't really look into her personality or watched all her shows, just what she was cooking for a few minutes, that's all. :(

      Delete
    7. There are people where you just see a few snippets and you know you don't like them. I've seen more than that from her and I know I like her.

      Delete