Friday, 28 May 2010

The First Patient by Michael Palmer, MD

May is Michael Palmer month!  I did say I am on a Michael Palmer journey and I am still on a roll.

The theme of this book is an obscure element in the field of medicine called nanotechnology which is 'the study of the controlling of matter on an atomic and molecular scale' (Wikipedia). 

The 25th Amendment (details Presidential succession due to resignation, disability, illness, removal or death) is another theme which adds intrigue to the story.

This book is a medicopolitical thriller.  It starts off with the POTUS (President of the United States) enlisting the help of his old college roomie, Dr Gabe Singleton, to help find his missing personal physician and to take the missing physician's place at the White House.  What the POTUS did not tell him is that he is suffering from a supposedly mental illness not due to natural causes and which is progressively worsening.  Secrets from the past are also haunting the friendship between Dr Singleton and the President. 

As Gabe settles into his new job, he becomes the target of two unexpected shootings and the more he learns, the more his life is in danger.  The White House is shrouded with so many secrets and protocols that he finds he cannot trust anyone. 

Nanotech being an obscure element, once you have read the book, you will find that the theme was only alluded to and there was no in-depth information about it.  I think it is a hard subject to write on and to extrapolate on.  However, Palmer has carried out an in-depth research into his theme and has written an ingenious story on the White House medicine helped by its interesting mix of characters, fast-paced plots, first-rate suspense and scary storylines. 

As former President Bill Clinton says of this book, "The First Patient is an exciting thriller that is full of surprises and captures the intense atmosphere of the White House, how the medical system works and how the 25th Amendment could be brought into play.  I thoroughly enjoyed it."

Well, Mr Clinton, I have thoroughly enjoyed it too. 

Rating: 3/5 (more a work of fun fiction than believable fiction)


No comments:

Post a Comment