Friday, 5 November 2010

The Keepsake (Rizzoli and Isles thriller) by Tess Gerritsen


First two lines in the book:  He is coming for me.  I feel it in my bones.

From the blurb:  For untold years, the perfectly preserved mummy had lain forgotten in the dusty basement of Boston's Crispin Museum.  Dubbed "Madam X," the recently rediscovered mummy is, to all appearances, an ancient Egyptian artifact.  But medical examiner Maura Isles discovers a macabre message hidden within the corpse - horrifying proof that this "centuries-old" relic is instead a modern-day murder victim.  When the grisly reamins of two other women are found, it becomes clear to Maura and Boston homicide detective Jane Rizzoli that a maniac is at large.  Now Maura and Jane must unravel a murderer's twisted endgame before the Archaelogy Killer adds another chilling artifact to his monstrous collection.

Check out this youtube video of the trailer made by Ryan White who was hired by Tess Gerritsen to promote The Keepsake:



I found this youtube review of The Keepsake by Roman Griffen (author) and thought it is an innovative way for a blogger or anyone to review a book by speaking about it.  I guess it all comes down to choice.  I might try it myself one day!



Three days ago, the New York Times bestselling author posted an enthralling must-read blog entitled Characters Have Childhoods, Too on Murderati.com

In a recent interview with the University of Oklahoma's Professional Writing Student Program, when asked whether writing her books get any easier than her first endeavours, Tess Gerritsen replied, "No, they're much harder...because you're always trying to satisfy your fans and top your last novel.  It feels like I just keep building higher mountains to scale with every novel."

Well, Ms Gerritsen, as a fan of your books, I think this one has more than satisfied me with its mummified cadaver storyline and I like the fact that you combine and use your knowledge of anthropology, archaeology and medicine in your writing.  When I was on holiday in Aarhus, Denmark in the spring of 2009, I paid a visit to the The MoesgÃ¥rd Museum where I was impressed by The Grauballe Man (scroll down to the bottom) exhibition, not knowing that more than a year later, I would be reading about bog bodies in a book by one of my favourite crime authors.  Gerritsen's ability to tell a story is at its best and she balances both fact and fiction very well.  Her primary and secondary characters are very likeable and leave an impression on the reader, both in their actions, thoughts and dialogue.  There is no let-up in this book - every page is full of suspense and horror and flows smoothly from page to page.  I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it and whole-heartedly recommend The Keepsake.


Do read my review of Ice Cold here.

Rating:  5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment