Sunday, 22 May 2011

Precious Blood (Book One, The Edward Jenner Series) by Jonathan Hayes


I spent my Sunday reading Precious Blood (2007) in bed.  As a voracious reader, I would say the plot is quite run-of-the-mill because I have read books similar to these in the past but for a debut, it is very well-written, intelligent and quite poetic.  Between the first and the second book, I much prefer the latter mainly because of where it is set ie the Everglades.  I am now looking very much forward to Hayes' third book set in the mountains in Colorado and more.  Hayes is an interestingly vibrant author to follow on Facebook - look out for his amazing photos!

A Murderati interview with Jonathan Hayes.

Backcover blurb:  They found her in the East Village, nailed to the wall of a railroad flat.  Dr Edward Jenner is a New York forensic pathologist: he has attended countless murder scenes and performed thousands of autopsies but the killing of 21-year-old Andie Delore is different.  The naked body is marked with an indecipherable ancient script and is arranged in the shape of a ritual sacrifice.

The murderer poses as a cop.  The sole eye witness is Andie's flatmate, Ana de Jong.  She can't trust the police anymore.  Instead she turns to Jenner for help.

But then a second victim is found in rural Pennsylvania.  Her head has been placed in a puddle of milk.

And then the third.  Another decapitation: her naked torso is decorated with exotic bird feathers...

The corpses have the same mysterious script.  The killer is leading Jenner and Ana into his own private nightmare.  A place from which there will be no escape.

Rating:  4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment