Wednesday, 7 July 2010

Dirty Bonde by Lisa Scottoline


All of us have something we hide from the outside world, whether we want to acknowledge it or not.  And so it is with 39 year old Cate Fante, a newly appointed federal judge in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.  She is assigned a civil case which quickly gets out of hand resulting in an exposure of her private and professional life.  She wonders how she has gotten herself into such a big mess - her sex life is on tape, a detective believes she is a crooked judge and wants to kill her, her life has been recorded chronologically and to the minutest detail for about half a year without her knowledge, her conversations are taped, her partners are betraying her and to top it all off, her secret seedy life is going to be turned into a television series!  

The only people who can help her are far and few between and as is the case with Scottoline's protagonists, Cate sets out to clear her name by undertaking her own investigation.  Fortunately, her secretary, Val Denton, gives her the encouragement she needs by giving her a gem of an advice and I quote "Nothing matters but what's in your heart.  Don't think on what they say because you don't have to get yourself right with them.  You have to get yourself right with you." unquote.  

Scottoline also focuses on a parent raising a child with autism and introduces an incredible place called Centralia, a coal-mining ghost town in north-eastern Pennsylvania which has a fire raging underground for decades thus producing toxic fumes from the ground and into the air.  Further reading of this phenomenon can be found on the author's acknowledgements at the end of the book.

This is an entertaining story which is full of suspense, intrigue and life's touches.  As usual, I was totally gobsmacked when I found out who the real killer is because I had guessed the wrong one!  Don't take this book too seriously.  I have read better books by Scottoline but I wouldn't miss this either.  

Rating: 3/5 (Easy read)

No comments:

Post a Comment