Sunday, 19 June 2011
Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan
Jenny Colgan is a completely new author to me. I picked up her book only because of that one word on the cover - cupcake. I love cupcakes. I also love to laugh. So, when both are combined in a book, I simply cannot resist taking it home with me. Romance is a sideline.
I know a few ladies who make the most delicious and creamiest cupcakes I have ever tasted but sadly, none could sustain a cupcake cafe for long, not outside of London anyway, due to the poor economic climate.
The shop/supermarket-bought ones are not up to par and never will be, so, I guess it is a consolation that they still run their businesses by phone and online whenever we cupcake lovers feel like indulging our sweet tooth.
The best news is that if you want to meet other cupcake lovers, you can now do so at the annual cupcake festival to be held on Halloween's Day of this year from 2-5pm. The festival is also held in aid of the North London Hospice.
Red, a luxury women's lifestyle magazine from the UK, termed Colgan's books as "a delicious comedy" and I could not agree more.
Flicking through the book before reading it, I notice that almost all chapters open with a tempting and yummy recipe, for example:
First Chapter: Drop Scones
Chapter Two: Orange Cupcakes with Marmalade Icing for a Grumpy Day
Chapter Three: None
Chapter Four: Not Going To Work Nutella Cookies
Chapter Five: Peppermint Creams
Chapter Six: Lemon Getting What You Want Cake
Chapter Seven: Double Chocolate Cupcakes and Chocolate Sauce
Chapter Eight: Pear Upside-Down Cake
Chapters Nine and Ten: None
Chapter Eleven: Strawberry Meringue Cupcakes
etc
You can even find a Royal Wedding Street Party Red, White and Blue Cupcake recipe at the end of the book, no doubt to commemorate the recent royal wedding between Prince William and Catherine Middleton.
I love Colgan's writing and will definitely check out her other books before the year ends. Having read a number of chick-lits in the past, I can say with certainty that Colgan's book stands out. That is because it contains two ingredients which I look out for when I read chick-lits - wit and wisdom - and this book definitely contains much more than a good yarn let me tell you that!
Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe was published in April 2011. To know more about the author, keep up-to-date with her, read her blog, check out her latest news, reviews, books and book information, baking tips, recipes, enter competitions, Facebook, Twitter, just click onto her genuinely warm, genuinely funny website. Right, I need to go and bake a tray of cupcakes now. Happy read.
Rating: 4/5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment