Sunday, 12 June 2011

The Other Half Lives by Sophie Hannah



Hardcover flap blurb:  Why would anyone confess to the murder of someone who isn't dead?

Ruth Bussey knows what it means to be in the wrong, and to be wronged.  She once did something she regrets, and her punishment nearly destroyed her.  Now Ruth is rebuilding her life, and has found a love she doesn't believe she deserves: Aidan Seed.  Aidan is also troubled by a past he hates to talk about, until one day he decides he must confide in Ruth.  He tells her that years ago he killed someone: a woman called Mary Trelease.

Ruth is confused.  She's certain she's heard the name before, and when she realises why it sounds familiar, her fear and confusion deepen - because the Mary Trelease that Ruth knows is very much alive...

To understand the author's writing style, watch this video (in English and Spanish):



The Other Half Lives (published in 2009) is the fourth psychological thriller in the Sergeant Charlie Zailer and Detective Constable Simon Waterhouse series and is published in the USA as The Dead Lie Down.  This book does not make any more sense than the last one (The Point of Rescue) but this one scores more points from me because I thought the plot/maze is very well-constructed and original, and told superbly with the author's usual flamboyance and unconventional wit.  However, I have decided not to read anymore Sophie Hannah because her books get worse as I read down the series.  They are long-winded and make no sense most of the time.  More than half the time, I do not understand what it is about and I am certain real people do not act like the characters in her books.  In short, her psychology is not my cup of tea.

Happy reading!

Rating:  2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment